|(adapted from Julie Sahni’s Classic
Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking)
Ingredients (makes 3-4 cups):
- 7 tomatoes cut into 1 inch wedges
- 1.5 teaspoon mustard seeds.
- 5 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1.5 teaspoon Ras el hanout (can substitute curry powder)
- 6 cloves garlic sliced thin
- 1 Fennel sliced thin and sautéed until almost caramelized
- 2 Tablespoons Monini Originale
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Heat oil add mustard seeds, when they start to pop
add cumin seeds, wait 10 seconds
And add garlic, fennel, Moroccan spice. Lower heat, after 2
minutes add tomatoes, cook stirring gently until sauce has thickened.
Salt to taste.
This chutney will go nicely with any grilled beef, veal or lamb.
We use it with grilled veal flank steak served with sautéed
spinach and roasted potatoes.