|Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus additional for seasoning
- 1 pound dried penne pasta
- ¼ cup il Monello extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thickly sliced
- ½ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 cup milled or crushed canned Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped Italian parsley
The key to success with this recipe is slowly cooking the garlic
to a golden brown. This releases all the flavorfull oils and
sends a nutty, toasted smell through your kitchen.
Stir continually and if it gets too brown, it will be better.
Heat a gallon of water with a tablespoon of salt until it boils.
Add the pasta, stir well, and cover until it returns to a boil.
Then uncover and let boil until just tender to the bite all
the way through.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet with a lid, heat the oil over
medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until golden,
about 2 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and cook, stirring,
about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and salt to taste. Simmer
just until the sauce thickens and darkens.
Drain the pasta in a colander, reserving a cup cooking water.
Add the drained pasta to the sauce and mix well, adding a few
tablespoons of pasta cooking water if needed to coat the pasta
Cover and cook 1 minute. Taste for salt. Add the parsley, and
toss until evenly coated.